Research is Cool - advertising research jobs & postgraduate courses worldwide
Research jobs & academic social networking worldwide
   Visit our facebook page! Home About Us Jobs / Courses R-Net Careers Advice Advertisers
Kent University
London School of H&TM
Research is cool
Acceleration Studies Foundation
Make poverty history
Research is Cool

UK Research Funding

If you are looking to pursue postgraduate courses like a Masters Degree or a PhD, or would like to undertake postdoctoral work, you might be eligible for research funding from UK funding bodies. Research councils across the UK often provide funding to university departments for certain research vacancies and studentships. Below are links with information about some of the UK's top research funding sources that could help you finance your research project.

If you happen to know of a funding opportunity that is not on the site, please suggest the link to us by filling in the two fields at the bottom of this page.

Thank you, and happy searching!

UK Research Councils

Arts and Humanities Research Board (AHRB)

Biotechnology and Biological Sciences Research Council (BBSRC)

Engineering and Physical Science Research Council (EPSRC)

Economic and Social Research Council (ESRC)

Medical Research Council (MRC)

Natural Environment Research Council (NERC)

Particle Physics and Astronomy Research Council (PPARC)

UK Trusts and Charitable Foundations

Leverhulme Trust

Makes awards for the support of research and education. The Trust emphasises individuals and encompasses all subject areas

Sir Richard Stapley Educational Trust

Aims to provide financial assistance to graduates with First or Upper Second Class degrees, over the age of 24, who register for a higher degree or equivalent academic qualifications in any subject, or for a degree in medicine, dentistry or veterinary science, at a university in the UK. The annual closing date for applications is 31st March.

Wellcome Trust

Offers grants in the areas of biomedical science, technology transfer, medical humanities, and public engagement. The Trust also funds a wide range of activities for health-related research conducted outside the UK.

Harold Hyam Wingate Foundation

The Wingate scholarships are awarded to individuals of great potential or proven excellence who need financial support to undertake pioneering or original work of intellectual, scientific, artistic, social or environmental value, and to outstandingly talented musicians for advanced training. They are designed to help with the cost of a specific project which may last for up to 3 years. There is no upper age limit and the Scholarships Committee welcomes applications from mature candidates and those from non-traditional academic backgrounds. Wingate Scholarships attempt to provide funding for cross-disciplinary projects that might not fall comfortably into any of the conventional funding categories.

UK Funding for International Students

British Chevening Scholarships

For students wishing to follow full-time taught or research postgraduate-level courses in any subject at UK universities or colleges in the public sector. Most scholarships are mainly for one year, but awards are occasionally made for shorter periods. Chevening scholarships are currently available in 160 countries around the world.

Overseas Research Students Award Scheme (ORSAS)

Open to any international student of outstanding academic merit wishing to pursue a PhD, this scheme provides a partial scholarship which only covers the difference between home student fees and international fees. Applicants must have accepted a PhD place at a participating university before they can apply. Applications are made throught the university before the end of January (for courses beginning in October).

Research Council Funding

If you are from a country within the EU and would like to study for an MSc and/or a PhD in the UK, you may be eligible for funding from one of the research councils. However, if you are not a UK citizen the councils will only pay for your fees, so you may have to find the money for your living costs from other sources. You can find the links to the different councils above, in the research council section.

Research is Cool
Research is Cool
Research is Cool
Research is Cool
Research is Cool
Research is Cool

Valid HTML 4.01 Transitional

About | Contact | Feedback | Site Map | Link to us | Print Our Flyer
T&C Users | Privacy Users | FAQs Users | T&C Advertisers | Privacy Advertisers | FAQs Advertisers

Valid CSS!

© Research is Cool Ltd. 2007-2014

Website design by Stirling IT